Are we to judge ?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008


You know often, when we see a person clad smartly walking down the street , we think to ourselves, " He must be doing well " or " I think he's a rich man" or " I can't wait to see what he drives!".

On the contrary , when we see a beggar wandering around , barely covering their body with enough cloth , our first reactions are " Ew....... I wonder how he smells like " or " He better not come near me" or " Gosh , who is he ? " .
Those reactions are very natural , very human. We judge what we see. As simple as that. First , we look , then the possibilities wrestle in our minds and we come out with conclusions about what we perceive of other people.

I was in a mamak stall one day , alone. Having a cup of teh tarik while enjoying the evening breeze. As I was sipping my hot cup of teh tarik, a man of small stature walked pass me and sat right in front of me , the opposite table. The first thing that ran through my mind , ' Is he Chinese , Indian , Malay or some Vietnamese ? " He didn't have a very distinct feature that enable me to distinguish. And then , he ordered something from the mamak stall worker , and again I stretched my ears forth to hear his accent. But he was too soft. "Oh well ..... Shouldn't I mind my own business ? " I thought.

Minutes passed.........

Another guy , his friend appeared. Now, his friend has the same small frame. He sat down , mumbled something foreign , and laughed discreetly. That's interesting. Another unidentified race. I took out my phone , pretended to sms and peeped at them while they were chatting. The man who came later , looked pretty decent.

His shirt had a blue printed italic font " Jesus ". " Cool ! " I thought , he must be Christian. My hopes were soaring high and I even thought of making friends with them. Until , he lifted up his shirt to reveal a huge metal skull belt he was wearing around his waist . Yeah , how oxymoron. I gave him the benefit of doubt. He reached out in his pocket and took out a pack of cigarettes and began his puffing.


Maybe he is not Christian after all , but wait. Maybe he is a Christian but fell away? Or he might be an unborn Christian ? Or maybe he IS a Christian ?


I finished my cup of tea and walked away.

6 comments:

Cheng Yee said...

Sigh... the folly of humanity. Of one human race yet divided in mind. Sure you saw the shirt was "Jesus" and not some other word? haha...

manor of thoughts said...

Yeah , very true. yes , jesus was written on it.

Joel Yap said...

Looking at the picture.
You support Barisan National?

manor of thoughts said...

hahaa........ hm i didn't realise that you know. Maybe I am, naturally and unintentionally ;)

Lo Kelween said...

People can wear necklace with dozens of cross and say: "you think only Christian can wear cross huh, please, don't be so outdated! it's fashion, friend!"

and that's just one of the comments I received.

manor of thoughts said...

Haha......... true. that's right. But if we seldom see ppl wearing 'Jesus'. Crosses has been a fashion statement but not Jesus ;)

Design of Open Media | To Blogger by Blog and Web